Cleveland Trust Company - The transformation of the historic Cleveland Trust complex on East 9th Street between Euclid and Prospect avenues. February 2012 to present.
Background: Cleveland Trust Company was founded in 1894 and moved into its elegant Beaux-arts building at the south east corner of Euclid Avenue and East 9th Street in 1908. Innovative leadership built to bank to one of the top financial institutions in the country. In 1971, a 29-story office tower, designed by noted modernist architect Marcel Breuer, was built immediately to the bank's Rotunda on East 9th Street in order to consolidate the growing staff. In 1991 Cleveland Trust was acquired by Society National Bank (now Key Bank). Operations ceased in the East 9th Street complex in 1996. The Cuyahoga County Commissioners purchased the complex in 2005 and planned to demolish the Breuer Tower as well as the Swetland Building, adjacent to the Rotunda on Euclid Avenue, in order to build a new County Administration Building. Those plans were abandoned when the County Commissioners backed the effort to make the Global Center for Health Innovation a reality. In December 2012 the complex was purchased by the Geis Companies and the complex's transformation is nearing completion.
Project Scope: Document the renovation, restoration and repurposing of the complex, including before, progress and finished photographs of the Rotunda, the Breuer Tower, the Swetland Building, and the demolition of the P&H Building and subsequent construction of the Cuyahoga County Administration Building. The project also includes the publication of a book, Renaissance on East 9th Street, telling the story of the Cleveland Trust Company and the transformation of the complex into The 9.