Public Square - The renovation and reconfiguration of Cleveland's Public Square. December 2014 to present.
Background: Cleveland's Public Square was laid out by Moses Cleaveland's surveyors after their arrival in the wilderness of Connecticut's Western Reserve on July 22, 1796. Once the decision as to the location of the principal town had been reached, the surveyors set about the task of laying it out. Based on the New England agricultural model, a 10-acre public square at the center of the town was divided into quadrants by Superior (east and west) and Ontario (north and south) streets. It was conceived as the open space of a traditional New England town plan, intended to serve as a common grazing area and meeting place. After Cleaveland’s surveying party completed mapping the future settlement, their job was done, and they returned to Connecticut.
Project Scope: Document the renovation and reconfiguration of Public Square in the context of the vision of the Group Plan Commission: redesign and revitalize Public Square; enhance the Mall, and; bridge the gap between Downtown and the lakefront.