Church of the Transfiguration Project Details
Church of the Transfiguration - The deconstruction and demolition of the former Emmanuel Episcopal Church on Euclid Avenue.
Background: Emmanuel Chapel was founded in 1871 and in 1874 moved to a new building on Euclid Avenue at East 86th Street. Two years later it was admitted to the Episcopal Church as Emmanuel Church. In 1902 a late Gothic Revival stone structure was built on the same site. In 2004, a philosophical disagreement caused the congregation to split, and those who remained at the Euclid Avenue structure renamed it Church of the Transfiguration. In 2013, after the structure had fallen into disrepair, The Episcopal Dioceses determined that The Church of the Transfiguration would be too costly to repair. The Landmark Commission granted permission with the stipulation that the Narthex be deconstructed for future use.
Project Scope: Document the deconstruction of the Narthex and the recovery of the time capsule located beneath the corner stone, and the subsequent demolition of the remaining structure.